Monday, September 14, 2009

Liverpool's Yossi Benayoun Hails 'Perfect Day' Against Burnley


Liverpool midfielder Yossi Benayoun believes his three-goal performance against Burnley on Saturday was the best of his career for the Reds thus far.

The Israeli scored a superb hat-trick to help the Anfield club to a 4-0 victory over Owen Coyle's Burnley, with Dutch international Dirk Kuyt grabbing the other goal.

The result moves Liverpool up to fifth in the Premier League table, ahead of Arsenal and just three points behind third placed Manchester United.

As well as acknowledging his own performance, Benayoun was quick to declare that the result was more important than his individual contribution.

"It was a good day for me and it was great to score three goals," the former West Ham United star told Liverpool's official club website.

"But the most important thing is the three points. We played a lot of good football at times and won the match - that is more important to me than scoring goals."

With the absence of combative Argentine ace Javier Mascherano, Benayoun claims he was afforded more of a license to roam forward by manager Rafael Benitez, a ploy that the Israeli feels brought the best out of him.

"I started on the right but Rafa [Benitez] told me to move around and try and get in between the lines," he added.

"Every time I did that I found space so I could turn and go forward.

"I was lucky because the rest of the team provided me with good passes to score.

"It was the perfect day for me."

No comments: