Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Returning Liverpool FC Star Fabio Aurelio hHoping Injury Hell Is Over

The Carling Cup may lie a distant fourth in Liverpool’s list of priorities but as far as Fabio Aurelio is concerned all that glitters is gold.

The Brazilian is set to make his first start of the season when the Reds face Leeds United in a mouth-watering third-round clash at Elland Road on Tuesday night.

Aurelio missed all of pre-season and the opening five matches of the campaign after injuring his knee while back home in South America this summer.

But the 29-year-old has battled his way back to fitness and after brief substitute appearances against Debrecen and West Ham he is relishing the chance to get 90 minutes under his belt.

Aurelio knows the Carling Cup offers an opportunity for those currently on the fringes to stake a claim for a place in Rafa Benitez’s first choice line up.

And the left-back is determined to ensure the Reds enjoy an extended run in this season’s competition.

“I’m really happy to be back playing and to be part of the squad for matches again is great,” he said.

“I hope to start at Leeds and I’m sure there will be opportunities in this game for players who haven’t been used in Premier League games much recently.

“Every opportunity you get you need to show something to the boss and I have to take this chance. Hopefully I can do my job and help us get through.

“We want to progress in every competition we’re involved in. The Carling Cup offers a possibility for us to win a trophy and we can’t allow that chance to pass easily.

“It might not be the most prestigious competition but it’s still very important to us and we want to go all the way.”

Aurelio has been playing catch-up since he underwent surgery in Brazil during the close season.

He damaged cartilage in his left knee while playing football with his family on holiday and it’s been a long road to recovery.

“It has been a tough few months for me but at least I haven’t missed many games,” he said.

“I’ve been training hard at Melwood and to finally get back out there on the pitch was a moment of happiness for me.

“My knee is fine now and I just need to build up my match fitness.

“I’m not yet back to the level I was at last season but the game against Leeds is a chance to get some more minutes under my belt.”

In Aurelio’s absence, Argentine youngster Emiliano Insua has made the left-back slot his own this season.

Insua is likely to be rested tonight but Aurelio knows he faces a real battle over the coming months to regain his number one billing.

“Emiliano has been doing really well,” he said.

“Everyone knows his ability and since the start of the season he has done a very good job for the team.

“It will be a hard fight for that place this season but the fact we have more options now helps the team to be stronger.

“If we all keep working hard then it will be a difficult decision for the manager.”

No comments: