Thursday, September 10, 2009

Pardoned Football Fan Walks Free


Freed football fan Michael Shields spoke of his "living hell" after he was pardoned over a crime he did not commit.

The 22-year-old applauded his family and supporters, saying he knew he "would never walk alone" during his long fight for freedom.

Shields, who was jailed for 15 years in Bulgaria for the attempted murder of a barman, smiled and gave a thumbs up as he was freed.

He was convicted after a disturbance following Liverpool's Champions League victory in Turkey in 2005.

He was later transferred to a prison in the UK.

Today he was picked up from Thorn Cross Young Offender Institution in Warrington, Cheshire, by his parents, Marie and Michael.

In a statement read out at a press conference on his behalf by the Bishop of Liverpool James Jones, Shields said: "The last four years have been the hardest four years of my life.

"They have been a living hell."

Shields went on: "And I am only sitting here today thanks to the love, support and tireless campaigning of a number of people, some of whom are here today.

"In particular, I want to take this opportunity to say a public thank you to Councillor Joe Anderson, who led this campaign.

"I'd also like to thank Louise Ellman MP, Arlene McCarthy MEP, Bishop James Jones and my legal team, John Weate and Peter Weatherby.

"All have been so solid in their support for me and my family.

"Most of all I want to thank my mum and dad, my sisters, my family and my friends, who never for one minute doubted my innocence and who stood by me every step of the way.

"I couldn't have made it without their love.

"It's a hard thing to be locked away for a crime you did not commit.

"I was just 18 when I was arrested.

"I'm now 22 and face having to rebuild my life which was shattered by the failure of two legal systems, one here in the UK and one in Bulgaria.

"Today is a happy day for me but one of mixed emotions too.

"I am a free man, yes, but it should not have come to this.

"I now face a hard battle to adjust to normality.

"To find a job. To resume friendships. To build an ordinary life.

"I would like to extend my sympathy to the family of Martin Georgiev, who was the innocent victim of an unprovoked attack.

"He and his family, like me and mine, have been denied justice for four long years.

"My priority now is to spend time with my loved ones, to slowly begin to plan for a future as an innocent man.

"I would like to say a massive thank you to all those people out there - including Liverpool and Everton football fans - who have supported me and my family over the last four years by writing letters, by protesting, by marching.

"Your voices were heard.

"Thanks to you, I knew I would never walk alone. Thank you."

Shields' father, Michael senior, recalled the moment he and his wife Marie learnt the news of their son's release today.

Mr. Shields, a window cleaner, said: "We are feeling elated, it has taken such a long time.

"It is a big weight off our shoulders and we've been knocking on the door for four and a half years.

"It was a very emotional phone call which came directly from Jack Straw.

"We just thanked him for all the work he has put it.

"It's such a special day, we are so pleased to have him back with us."

No comments: