Thursday, September 17, 2009

Lucas: Rafa's Patience Has Saved My Liverpool Career


Brazilian Lucas believes that only the patience and indulgence of manager Rafa Benitez has saved his Anfield career.

The midfielder, who has finally begun to justify the faith shown by the Liverpool coach, explained yesterday that he suffered some dark times that could have shattered his confidence and forced him out of the club.

But even in his bleakest moments, Benitez supported him, and expressed the confidence that he had the talent to prove he can become one of the finest midfielders in world football.

Lucas has become an automatic choice at Anfield, and even the fans who used to boo him have begun to accept he could just be the man to replace the departed Xabi Alonso.

Yet as he lines up tonight against Hungarian side Debrecen in the opening round of Champions’ League side, Lucas explained that it wasn’t always that way.

“The manager has given me incredible support and confidence. If it wasn’t for him, I wouldn’t be here at Liverpool any more,” the Brazil international conceded.

“There were times when the fans turned against me, and that made moments where I doubted myself. But he said he believed in me and my ability, he told me to keep going and get through it, and I took confidence from that.

“In the end, it made me a stronger person. I am mentally and physically stronger now after what has happened. I remember I played against Fulham last season and was booed, probably because I replaced Xabi for that game and the team didn’t play well.

“I was sent off against Everton too, and they were difficult times. But now I try to understand the fans, and I understand that you can sometimes play badly in football as well as play well.

“I scored an own goal at the start of the season against Aston Villa, but because I have confidence and the mental strength from the experience I have had, I knew that these things happen, you have to accept them and deal with them and keep working.”

Benitez has never had any doubts in the midfielder, and he believes that as an all-round package he has the potential to offer as much as anyone in the Premier League, and the talent to replace even a player as popular as Alonso.

Lucas was voted Brazil’s player of the season when he was just 19, and was made captain of his home town club, before starring for his country in World under-19 Championships and the Olympics.

Liverpool stole in to sign him just 24 hours before a Manchester United delegation was due to arrive in Brazil to confirm his signature, and the Anfield boss believes that he will eventually show just why he was regarded as the greatest young talent in that supremely talented footballing nation.

“What he has is an all round ability. He can shoot, head, pass, run, create and score. He is not a 10 out of 10 in any of those, but he is close to 10 in all, and when he puts them all together he has the capacity to be a very fine player,” Benitez said.

“I have never had any doubts about him. He was the best player in his entire country at 19, and it was just a question of him adapting to the pace and physical strength of the Premier League.”

Lucas has done that by putting on 4 kilos over the past two years, and now he is ready to take a step forward. “I have worked to put on the weight, and I feel I am getting better and better. I am happy and I want to be an important player in Liverpool’s history.”

No comments: