Monday, September 07, 2009

Keeper Happy With New Deal


Peter Gulacsi is hoping his new Liverpool contract will prove to be a stepping stone towards the Reds' first-team.

The 19-year-old goalkeeper put pen to paper on a new deal last month that will keep him at Anfield until 2013.

Gulacsi is delighted to have committed his future to the club and, having been named as a substitute for last weekend's Barclays Premier League clash with Bolton, admits his long-term ambition is to establish himself in Liverpool's first-team setup.

"I am very pleased to have signed a new deal," the Hungarian told Liverpoolfc.tv. "I came here two years ago and to join a big club like Liverpool was a big thing in my life.

"During those two years I have tried to do my best. Signing this contract is the next step and hopefully I can achieve something here.

"Staying here for four more years is fantastic for me and it's a great opportunity to improve more, develop and maybe one day break into the first-team.

"Everybody who is here has the same ambition and wants to play for the first-team.

"Of course, it is a long way off for me and there is a lot of hard work to be done, but you always have to focus on what you want to achieve and my biggest target is to play for the first-team. I know it won't be easy, but now I have the time and the opportunity to get there.

"I realised when I first arrived here what Liverpool Football Club is all about and how fantastic the fans are. I think it is the best club in the world and it is a great feeling to be a part of it."

Gulacsi originally arrived at Anfield in a loan deal from MTK Hungaria in 2007 - and the Reds quickly made the transfer permanent after the 'keeper excelled in the reserves' treble-winning campaign of 07-08.

After spending the latter part of last season on loan at Hereford United, the custodian was included in the first-team squad for the trips to Switzerland and Asia.

He made a total of five appearances for the Reds over the summer and had the opportunity to work side-by-side with Pepe Reina on a daily basis.

"It was much different to what I had experienced before," he revealed.

"I played a few games for Hereford on loan last season and the Hungarian national team, but playing for the first-team was a whole new experience.

"It was new to me playing in front of a big crowd with a quicker tempo and it wasn't easy, but I learned a lot from those pre-season games.

"Working with Pepe Reina was a good opportunity for me to see how he does things and it is really good for me to learn from him."

No comments: