Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Fernando Torres: Liverpool Fans Love Me Like Steven Gerrard


Fernando Torres could not be happier on Merseyside, citing the predominantly working-class background of the city of Liverpool as one of the reasons he feels so at home in the north west.

"The people are so nice and polite here, and have a lot of respect for players when you are away from the pitch,” he told The Liverpool Echo. “That is one of the main things for me. In Spain it was difficult for me to go to restaurants or just walk in the street with my friends.

“Now I can do these things and go to the park, walk my dogs and go out for dinner. It’s a really working-class city and I like that because I was born in a working-class part of Spain. The people work all week and they go to the ground each weekend to enjoy the team. On the Monday they are working hard again just so they can see their team on the weekend.

“It’s really special to see [Liverpool] supporters with my name on their shirt. I can understand why they would wear a Stevie G or Carra shirt because they are from Liverpool.

“I only came here two years ago as a foreign player but they love me like Stevie [Gerrard] or Carra [Jamie Carragher]. That’s amazing and I have to say thank you to them for that."

Torres also believes that it will not be long before Liverpool are picking up another trophy, and that the Premier League title is not far from their grasp.

No comments: