Sunday, September 13, 2009

A Big Thank You From Michael Shields


I'd like to thank every reader, especially the many non-Liverpool fans, who have written to me with their support for Michael Shields during the past four years.

Hundreds of you got in touch to express your disgust at his treatment and to pass on your support to his family. I did, and they passed it on to him. And he has told me that it helped him get through the 1,562 nights he spent in prison for a crime he didn't commit.

To the other readers who told me I was chasing a lost cause and that Shields was as guilty as hell, I'm glad you've been proved wrong.

I've learned many lessons in the 12 years I've been writing this column. By far the most important is that football fans may be divided on a tribal basis, but when a clear injustice has been done to one of us, the majority rally round.

Michael Shields was a case of prejudice against an English football fan, pure and simple. I've said many times that had this been a middle-class teenager on a Gap Year who'd been fitted up abroad for a crime he didn't commit, he'd have been out within weeks of the non-evidence being put before the court.

But he was an English football fan. So he didn't matter.

I'm glad he mattered to so many of you, even though you have no time for the club he supports.

You helped him get through it. And he's asked me to thank you.

No comments: