Friday, August 07, 2009

Xabi Alonso Hails Liverpool FC Fans For Five Years Of Support


Xabi Alonso bade Liverpool a fond farewell after completing his move to Real Madrid last night – admitting it will be “really difficult” for the Bernabeu fans to match his reception at Anfield.

Alonso was presented as a Real player last night after signing a five-year contract after Madrid finally met Liverpool’s valuation of around £30million.

And after completing his medical at the Bernabeu, 27-year-old Spanish international said: “I am very grateful to Liverpool fans, they were very warm during my five years. It will be really difficult to match their appreciation.

“I really enjoyed those five years, but a few months ago I took that decision as I thought it was the right moment to find a fresh challenge, to look for a new club.

“That’s when Real Madrid came along. Luckily a deal has been done and I’m very happy.

“It is a personal challenge I felt is necessary for my football career.”

Alonso was unveiled at the club’s training ground yesterday evening, then joined dup with his new team-mates for their evening session.

“It’s a very happy day for me,” Alonso added. “It’s an important step in my career to come to a club like Real Madrid.

“I’m very happy to be part of this club and I was very excited for this day to arrive.”

Reports suggest Alonso’s relationship with Rafa Benitez disintegrated after he professed his desire to leave.

However, Alonso insists he has nothing but respect for his former boss.

“I have repeated over and over again that the relationship was a professional one, of mutual respect, a normal one between coach and player,” he said.

“I respect him and thank him for the opportunity he gave me.

“The goodbyes were quite brief, everything happened very quickly and I didn’t have time to say goodbye properly. I want to return to say goodbye to my team-mates and Rafa.”

No comments: