Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Voronin Expects Regular Role


Andriy Voronin is confident he will play a prominent role for Liverpool in the 2009/10 campaign.

The Ukraine international spent last season on loan at Hertha Berlin after being deemed surplus to requirements at Anfield.

He is, however, back in England and has featured regularly for the Reds during their pre-season preparations.

Having rebuilt his confidence in Germany last year, following a difficult debut season in the Premier League following his 2007 arrival from Bayer Leverkusen, Voronin believes he is now better equipped to force his way into Rafa Benitez's plans.

"I spoke to Rafa Benitez before my return and he said I need to work hard to get a chance in the first team," Voronin told Bild.

"So far I have featured in every pre-season friendly, despite all the competition for places.

"I am not afraid of all the strikers we have here. I am prepared to fight for a place in the side as I do not plan on sitting around on the bench."

While keen to prove his worth on Merseyside, Voronin does admit that he would have welcomed the opportunity to remain at Hertha had the club been in a position to make that possible.

"I would have loved to stay on at Hertha, no doubt about it," he added.

"I was very disappointed, since I gave my best for the club.

"(Manager) Lucien Favre is not the only one making decisions, though, there is also a general manager and a board of directors.

"But going there was great for my career and I hope to benefit this season."

No comments: