Monday, August 17, 2009

Steven Gerrard Admits He Is ‘Desperate’ To Win Premier League With Liverpool


Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has revealed that he is desperate to claim the league title with the Reds and has insisted that finishing top of the pile would mean the world to him.

“I'm desperate to get that photo of me with my teammates holding the Premier League trophy,” he told the News of the World.

“It does play on my mind how many years I've left to win it. I've turned 29 now, so I know time isn't on my side, but it's important I don't get obsessed by it.”

Rafael Benitez’s side will be hoping to build on last season’s second place finish and their skipper revealed what it would mean to him and the city of Liverpool to end the season as champions.

“You have to go into every new season prepared to do all you can to make it happen and I genuinely believe we can do it. This city would absolutely erupt if we did,” he explained.

“But because of the gap since we last won the title, if we achieve it, it would be bigger than the Champions League. Everyone at the club knows that and that's one of the incentives for doing everything to win it because we've seen what that kind of success means to the fans, and the players.

“It will just mean the world to me to win it at Liverpool. Moving to a different club and winning the league just doesn't enter my mind. I won't give up on it at Anfield.”

Although the Reds have lost Xabi Alonso to Real Madrid this summer, Gerrard is still confident they can challenge and insisted his side is very strong ahead of the new season.

“I honestly don't see a lot more changes being needed to the side, but we do have to find consistency from the first game. That showed last year when it was draws, not defeats which cost us,” he added.

"We are good enough to win it.

“Our keeper is the best in the world, defensively we're very solid and we've got matchwinners such as Fernando [Torres].”

No comments: