Thursday, August 13, 2009

Lucas Leiva Targeting Spot In Brazil Squad For World Cup


Lucas Leiva has been the glimmer of light in an otherwise dark pre-season for Liverpool, but his showings on the pitch were not enough to earn him a place in the Brazil squad that will play Estonia this week.

However, the 22-year-old remains hopeful that he will soon make the cut into the national team and travel to the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

"It's one year from the World Cup and I have the target of being in the squad," Lucas told the club's official website.

"I also have the target of playing more games at Liverpool.

"It could be a really good year for me."

The youngster touched upon his fitness and the Reds' hope of securing some silverware this season.

"It's the first full pre-season I've been able to do in England so this has given me more confidence and fitness," he said happily.

"When you play at a club like Liverpool you have to think about trophies because we're one of the biggest clubs in the world.

"I am looking forward to doing it this season.

"My first title in Europe would be great. When you are young you want to make history and I am here to try and help Liverpool Football Club create more history."

The Brazilian will be given some time to impress manager Rafael Benitez, since the club's latest acquisition, Alberto Aquilani, is out for two months following surgery.

No comments: