Monday, August 10, 2009

Lucas Focused On Reds Future


Liverpool midfielder Lucas Leiva insists he is focused on earning a first-team place at Anfield, despite previously admitting he is considering his future.

The Brazil international confessed on Friday that he could be interested in a return to his homeland after receiving interest from Corinthians.

Former Gremio ace Lucas has started only 25 Premier League games since his £6million move to Merseyside in 2007.

But the 22-year-old scored in Saturday's 2-1 pre-season defeat to Atletico Madrid at Anfield and he now says that, in the wake of Xabi Alosno's move to Real Madrid, he is determined to help Liverpool achieve success.

"Of course I was happy to score against Atletico, although I would rather the team have won the game instead of me getting the goal," he told the club's official website.

"But it was good for me to start and end the pre-season well.

"Sometimes I hear things said about me, but to be honest I don't care too much. I only care about the team and the squad.

"Now I have to focus on the forthcoming season and continue to work hard and improve.

"I will try to prove I have the quality to be in the team and hopefully help Liverpool win the title."

No comments: