Sunday, August 16, 2009

Liverpool's History Cannot Be Ignored - Alberto Aquilani


New Liverpool signing Alberto Aquilani has spoken of his admiration for the club's history, after getting a lesson from Roma director Bruno Conti.

Liverpool won the 1984 European Cup, defeating Roma on penalties when Conti sent his spot-kick over the cross-bar.

"You cannot ignore the huge past of this club," Aquilani told Sky Sports.

"I grew up in Rome and knew about the final between Roma and Liverpool. It was a game I became very much aware of," he continued.

"Bruno Conti talked to me a lot about it, especially his big mistake.

Aquilani was reluctant to leave his home town club, but said he was delighted to move to Liverpool. The Italian also revealed that he spoke with his team-mate John Arne Riise before making the move.

"I knew I would only leave Roma for a club such as Liverpool. I hope to do the shirt proud and help them win more honours.

"Riise spoke highly of Rafael Benitez and said he would help me grow," Aquilani added.

"I am aware of the pressure the club is under and I will be under. But if you want to play for a big club, you have to handle the pressure."

The Italian said that he is eager to taste the atmosphere at Anfield.

"I have heard a lot about the unique atmosphere at Anfield, the Kop and the great fans. I am looking forward to getting fit and making my debut."

Aquilani is also hoping to cement a place in the Italy squad for the World Cup in South Africa in the summer.

"Going to the World Cup is a big objective for me, but in order to do that, I need to do well with Liverpool," he said.

"I spoke to Marcello Lippi before coming to England and he reassured me it will not be a problem."

No comments: