Monday, August 03, 2009

Liverpool's Carragher Wary Of Owen Threat


Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher is pleased to see former Red Michael Owen back at a top-four club, but hopes his friend finds life at Manchester United tough going.

Carragher predicted United's latest signing could prove a masterstroke for Sir Alex Ferguson, but is crossing his fingers the England striker struggles for goals in the Premier League title race.

''Signing Michael Owen was a clever piece of business by United and he has started really well in pre-season,'' Carragher told the Sunday Mirror.

''In a way I'm pleased he's got a big move to a big club because he came in for a lot of criticism at Newcastle. Why? What did he do wrong up there?

''For me, Michael Owen is still a great player and great role model and I have this feeling he'll be good for United.

''But he plays for our biggest rivals now so he'll know I won't want him to carry on scoring once the season starts.''

He added: ''He's scored a lot of goals in the first few games for United and I hope he scores a few more pre-season because I want him to do well.

''But as soon as the season starts I hope he has a drought.''

No comments: