Friday, August 14, 2009

Liverpool Midfielder Riera Dedicates Goal To Late Daniel Jarque


Liverpool midfielder Albert Riera has dedicated his international strike for Spain this week to the memory of the late Espanyol player Daniel Jarque.

Jarque, a former team-mate of Riera's at the Catalan outfit, passed away unexpectedly after suffering a heart attack after a training session. He was just 26 years old.

Spain has been in mourning this week as the nation pays it's last respects to the centre-back.

The Liverpool winger scored in Spain's 3-2 victory over Macedonia on Wednesday night and told the Reds' official website, "My goal is for Dani, for his family, and for everyone associated with Espanyol.

"It was a goal that meant a lot, over and above the result. For me it was very important due to the desire that I had to score in this game. I can assure that this goal came from the soul.

"I wasn't only thinking [about scoring], but that's that I was hoping for. I've thought a lot about Dani and about scoring a goal for him."

The entire national squad paid their respect to Jarque before the friendly by donning shirts bearing Jarque's name and squad number prior to a minute's applause in his honour.

The defender's tragic death came just one month after he had been named captain for the upcoming season.

No comments: