Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Jamie Carragher Reveals Boxing Secret Behind His Liverpool Fitness


Liverpool's talismanic centre-back Jamie Carragher has revealed how he has used boxing this summer to remain in peak condition to help him fight for his place as his 32nd birthday draws nearer.

"I know it sounds stupid to some people but I never feel like I have cemented my place, that it can all be taken away from me very quickly," the former England international told the club's official website.

"I always try to do something different each summer to try to get that extra couple of per cent. I went boxing, I've always eaten well and now I eat to the absolute maximum.

"We are all getting older, but another way of looking at it is Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel are getting more experienced which is going to help them.

"They are coming into the prime of their careers. I am not stupid. I am 32 in January. It will happen one day."

The Reds started this season with a defeat at White Hart Lane, but followed it up with a 4-0 demolition of Stoke City at Anfield in midweek. Aston Villa are the visitors to Merseyside on Monday night, and Carragher is relishing the test that they will provide.

"I would hate to be at a club where it didn't matter, where there wasn't that pressure to win," he affirmed.

"I wouldn't say there is no point playing in those circumstances but at least you know you are playing for a proper team here."

No comments: