Sunday, July 26, 2009

Rafa Benitez Is Right To Get All Godfather With Real Madrid Over Xabi Alonso


Real Madrid's sporting director Miguel Pardeza is livid. He "cannot understand" why Liverpool are asking £35million or "more than we are willing to pay" for Xavi Alonso.

Well, it might just be that Alonso has years left on his contract. Or that Real have distorted transfer fees out of all proportion, are desperate to sign a top Spanish player and Pardeza himself admits there is no one else on the market with Alonso's playmaking skills.

But I'd like to think Rafa Benitez might deliver Senator Pat Geary's speech from Godfather II, when Michael Corleone asked why his family should have to pay more than they want to in a deal.

"Because I intend to squeeze you. I don't like your kind of people. I don't like to see you come here with your oily hair, dressed up in those silk suits, trying to pass yourselves off as decent. I'll do business with you, but the fact is I despise your masquerade, the dishonest way you pose yourself and your whole freakin' family."

If so, he'll speak for everyone in football.

No comments: