Friday, July 24, 2009

Philipp Degen Looking Forward To Injury-Free Season At Liverpool


Philipp Degen is looking forward to making his first Premier League appearance for Liverpool this season.

Degen signed for the Reds on a free transfer before last season, but only managed two League Cup appearances due to a horrific run of injuries.

Having appeared in all the club's pre-season games thus far, he is now hoping for a better campaign.

The wing-back told Liverpool's official website, "Last year was a very sad year for me.

"I have worked hard during the holidays and now I feel really good. I am not yet at 100 per cent match fitness but I am feeling better every day.

"It's a new season and a new start for me. I have never had a season like last season before when I was injured all the time.

"I came to a new club wanting to show what I could do but it wasn't possible. I was injured, injured, injured and I know the fans were thinking I am that sort of player, but it isn't true.

"I want to fight to prove myself now and that's why I am looking forward to this year so much."

However, Degen faces a fight to claim a first-team place, following the big-money signing of Glen Johnson. He is not too worried, though.

"That is life at a big club like Liverpool," added the Swiss international.

"I will do all I can to show what I can do. That's the most important thing for me."

No comments: