Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Martin Skrtel Believes Defensive Competition Is Beneficial To Liverpool


Liverpool defender Martin Skrtel believes the competition for places at the centre of defence is pushing everyone in the squad vying for the position to their peak.

The Reds are notoriously strong in the centre back position, last season boasting Martin Skrtel, Jamie Carragher, Sami Hyypia and Daniel Agger as their four top options.

Hyypia has since departed for Bayer Leverkusen in the twilight of his career, but Skrtel says he still has plenty to learn from his remaining team-mates.

"I hope there is a lot of improvement still to come. I am 24 and Daniel Agger is also. This is still very young for a centre-back," he told Liverpoolfc.tv.

"Every day in training you can learn from players like Carra. Every day I watch Daniel, Carra and last season Sami - this helps me in my job.

"That's very important and very good for us. Hopefully when we play in the future the things we learn every day will come through in our games."

He continued: "I have been competing not only with Daniel but also Jamie and last year Sami. Always when I get a chance I try to play very well and help my team win. But all four of us do that. You just have to play for the team.

"Everyone wants to play but when you don't you just have to wait for your chance. You have to show you're a good player."

Skrtel has made 50 appearances for Liverpool since arriving during the January transfer window of the 2007/08 Premier League season.

No comments: