Friday, July 10, 2009

Glen Johnson Reveals Choosing Liverpool Over Chelsea Was ‘Easy’

Glen Johnson appeared in a calm and composed mood during his first press conference as a Liverpool player following his lucrative £18 million switch from south coast club Portsmouth, revealing to the attending press that making the move to the Anfield outfit was an "easy" decision.

The defender, who vastly improved his game last season and firmly established himself as England manager Fabio Capello's first choice right-back, claimed that working under the tutelage of Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez was a key reason in signing for the Reds.

Johnson noted that, despite Chelsea's reported interest, there was only one destination for him.

"When I left Chelsea I needed to play games, so I'm grateful to Portsmouth for taking me on," he enunciated clearly to the nation's journalists.

"Hopefully I've shown people a greater perspective of what I can do. I want to try and do what I did last season, with Liverpool, and also push on."

The Greenwich-born West Ham United academy product continued, "Even though I'm from south London, the first kit I had was a Liverpool one, but don't ask! I don't know how that happened!"

On the decision to sign for Liverpool ahead of a return to west London club Chelsea, Johnson said, "It was easy. Rafael Benitez was keen to help me improve and turn me into the best player that I can be.

"According to the press there was a lot of interest [from Chelsea], but when I knew of Liverpool, it was an easy decision."

Liverpool will be the fifth club that Johnson will have signed for. He received his footballing education at West Ham, before enjoying a loan spell at Isle of Dogs side Millwall.

He then signed for Chelsea, becoming the first addition in the Blues' money-laden era bankrolled by Roman Abramovich.

After failing to establish himself he left for Portsmouth, where he began to display the exceptional form that booked his Liverpool transfer.

No comments: