Thursday, July 30, 2009

Albert Riera Determined To Improve At Liverpool This Season


Liverpool winger Albert Riera is looking to build on his impressive displays at the club last season, and to improve once more over the forthcoming season, now that he has fully acclimatised to English football.

Riera played 40 games for the Reds last season, scoring five goals, and the 27-year-old is hoping to help the Merseysiders go one better than their runners-up spot last season, and end the long wait for a league title, with the team's results against the 'big four' last season showing that they were capable of doing so.

"I always think I can be better, but I think for my first season at Anfield I did okay," the Balearic Islander told 'Pool's official website.

"It's never easy for a player moving to a new club. Adapting wasn't as difficult for me because I'd been in England before. I can improve and I have to. I know that and I will be trying to do that in the new season.

"The Champions League and Premier League are massive and I enjoy taking part in them. The fact that we had some terrific results against good opponents obviously helps. We did well against United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Real Madrid, home and away.

"The only real disappointment in those big games came when we faced Chelsea at home in the European Cup. Apart from that, the other results show that we are a good team and are ready to fight for the title. We were able to go away from home against top sides and do well. That's what you need."

Riera also asserted that he feels Rafa Benitez's side do have the mentality to handle the pressure of a title challenge, despite many observers feeling that they choked slightly when the heat rose in last season's race for the Premier League crown.

"I realised straight away when I came here that the mentality was different to what I'd experienced. It is a winning attitude and that means pressure is no problem for us," he add.

"I think you always have to improve, all of us. You do that by working harder. I'm sure we will all be doing exactly that."

No comments: