Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Real Madrid Set To Offer Striker As Bait In Xabi Alonso Switch


Real Madrid are ready to use highly-rated striker Alvaro Negredo as bait in their attempt to lure Liverpool into parting with Xabi Alonso.

Speculation over Alonso’s future has intensified with Florentino Perez yesterday confirmed as Real Madrid president for the second time after no other candidate put themselves forward for election before the May 31 deadline.

As part of his campaign, Perez, who has appointed Villarreal’s Manuel Pellegrini as new coach, has vowed to sign a number of top names of which Alonso has become the most immediate priority.

Reports in Spain over the weekend suggested Gabriel Heinze, a former Liverpool target, could form part of a prospective deal worth around £23million.

But it has now emerged Negredo would be the more likely offering, with the striker having earned rave reviews while with Almeria during the past two seasons.

Real Madrid sold the 23- year-old to Almeria two years but are poised to activate the buy-back option they negotiated as a condition of the transfer.

Benitez, who is seeking to bolster his strikeforce in the summer, has previously assessed Negredo.

And the player admits his future is reliant on the Bernabeu outfit, while expressing his excitement at a possible move to Anfield.

"To play next to Fernando Torres at Anfield is a dream and any player would accept that," said Negredo.

"But I prefer to talk about reality and I have not spoken with Rafa Benitez, but I do know that some contact exists between the clubs. My future depends on Real Madrid, but I believe that this summer I will be out of Almeria.

"I am grateful to Almeria because they have given me my chance to play in the Primera Liga.

"But it is logical that I am interested in playing in the Premier League and especially Liverpool. I believe that playing in England would be a great chance for me as this league is a sensational place for forwards."

No comments: