Monday, June 08, 2009

Liverpool’s Arbeloa Ready To Step In For Sergio Ramos In Spain Team


Liverpool full-back Alvaro Arbeloa could be given a rare chance to start for Spain in Tuesday’s international friendly against Azerbaijan, should Sergio Ramos fail to regain full fitness.

The versatile Real Madrid defender suffered a hip injury just before the club’s final game of the Primera Division season against Osasuna. He is still struggling to shrug off the problem despite a full week of rest.

“If Sergio fails to recover and the coach hands me a start, it will fill me with great pride,” Arbeloa told EFE.

“It would be my sixth game with La Seleccion and I will try to take advantage of the opportunity as best I can.”

Despite an equally long season with Liverpool, Arbeloa assured that he was physically ready for the Spanish challenge.

“I am feeling good at the moment. I finished the season well with Liverpool and I would’ve had plenty of rest before going to the Confederations Cup,” he detailed.

“The coach knows that I am here to help the team and I’m ready to play in any position necessary. That I can play at either right- or left-back will increase my chances of seeing more game time and helping the national side. That is my main desire.

“We all want to repeat our Euro 2008 success by winning the Confederations Cup.”

Coach Vicente del Bosque could indeed be forced to field a makeshift back line altogether for Tuesday’s test against Azerbaijan.

With Carles Puyol and Gerard Pique joining Sergio Ramos on the sidelines, the Spanish press expect Arbeloa and Joan Capdevila to line up as the full-backs while Valencia duo Raul Albiol and Carlos Marchena anchor the heart of defence.

It is also predicted that Del Bosque will deploy the 'double X' in central midfield, Xavi and Xabi Alonso, while relative newcomers Juan Mata and Pablo Hernandez could occupy the flanks due to injuries to Andres Iniesta, David Silva and Santi Cazorla.

Bar Iniesta, the rest are expected to recover in time before the start of the Confederations Cup on June 14.

No comments: