Monday, June 01, 2009

Fowler: Next Title Will Be Liverpool's


Robbie Fowler accepts Manchester United deserved to equal Liverpool's record of 18 league titles, but the former Kop hero is hoping Rafael Benitez's side will be able to go one better next season.

While disappointed to see United draw level courtesy of this season's Premier League title, Fowler admits it was nothing less than United deserved.

"It kills you to admit that but obviously Manchester United have a very good team and I think that what they've achieved has been fantastic," Fowler SAID.

"Hopefully Liverpool can get that one league title ahead of them next year. That's what I'm hoping anyway."

Liverpool have failed to land a league title since 1990 but Fowler is confident the long drought could soon come to an end.

"I think they surprised a few people. They were better this year than they've ever been in the Premier League," he added.

"I've mentioned it before that some of the silly points that they dropped at home against the so-called weaker teams...if they could turn those draws into wins, we could be talking here now of Liverpool as champions.

"The reason that Manchester United are champions is that they don't draw those games, they win them. If Liverpool can put that right, and I can definitely see them doing that, then I think that next year will be Liverpool's year."

But while he remains passionate about his former club, Fowler expects to be watching them from afar after signing a two-year deal with Australian side North Queensland Fury.

After leaving Blackburn last December, Fowler listened to a number of offers before deciding on the A-League newcomers, who are based in the tropical outpost of Townsville.

"I'd left Blackburn and I got the call from the North Queensland manager (Ian Ferguson) asking if I would be interested," explained the 34-year-old Fowler, who is in Singapore for North Queensland's friendly match against S-League side Tampines Rovers on Sunday.

"I went over and I was very impressed with what the manager and chairman had to say. I went around the place and really liked it and I was really keen to sign the contract."

Fowler has been designated as the club's 'marquee' player - meaning his wages are excluded from the salary cap imposed on the club - but the former England international insists he wants no special treatment.

"The marquee is just a title," he added. "I'm going to be treated just the same as every other player and I'll go into the season wanting to do as well as I can.

"I wouldn't be treated any differently and I wouldn't expect to be treated differently.

"I'm not going to go on about being the big marquee player because I don't want to invite any extra pressure on myself.

"There might be a little bit of added pressure but I think I can handle it."

No comments: