Thursday, June 11, 2009

Agger Vows He’ll Fight For His Place

Liverpool’s Daniel Agger has revealed that he committed his future to the club despite not being given any guarantees about first-team football.

The Danish defender finally penned a five-year deal at Anfield last month but with Jamie Carragher and Martin Skrtel providing fierce competition for places and Rafael Benitez linked with a move for another centre-back this summer, the 24-year-old did not receive any promises from the manager.

Agger said: “In football you can’t get any promises from the manager about when you are going to play, and especially not at a club like Liverpool where we have so many talented players all competing for places.

“I believe I am good enough to play regularly in this team and that’s what I want to do.”

Agger, who made 26 appearances last season, explained why he was happy to agree a new Liverpool contract even though he will have to fight for his place.

He said: “First of all, I believe this team, with the players we have, will be able to challenge for many honours and trophies over the next few years.

“Secondly, I think I have a chance to play in this team, otherwise I would not be staying at the club.

“Thirdly, I really like this city, and I like the people who live here. It’s not the same as my home town, Copenhagen, but I actually really like where I live. That’s important.

“I believe if you have a happy, settled and comfortable life outside the pitch then you’re going to be a much better player on it.

“Of course, if you have a manager who tells you that he is confident in your ability and he believes in you and what you can bring to the team, then that is also important. The manager has done this by coming to me and offering me the contract.

Agger arrived at Anfield in January 2006, just a few months before the FA Cup triumph over West Ham.

However, the Dane played no part in the run to Cardiff and is still waiting for what he would regard as his “first” medal with the club.

It’s a situation Agger is desperate to address.

“Everybody wants medals, they want trophies and they want success,” he said.

“That is what a club like Liverpool should be all about.

“I won both the league and cup in my first season at Brondby. I haven’t won anything at Liverpool so far and that is something I really want to change.

“We won the FA Cup in my first season at the club but I didn’t play a game in the competition that season. So although I have a medal for that victory I don’t count it as my having won it.”

However, Agger is confident there is a piece of silverware on the horizon next season.

“I think you can see on the pitch this season, and especially in the last few games, what playing for this club means for the team,” he said.

“We have showed that we have a winning character now throughout the team.

“We have developed this season a mentality which says that you can’t beat us. Even when we are in a difficult position we have a belief in our ability to change the result.”

No comments: