Monday, May 18, 2009

Steven Gerrard Close To Signing New Liverpool Contract


Liverpool midfielder Steven Gerrard is set to sign his new contract with the club in the next few weeks, according to the player himself.

The Reds captain agreed to a new contract last month, stating that it would be signed once the season is over.

This now seems set to go through as the England international revealed he would sign a new four-year-contract in the next few weeks.

The 28-year-old also stated he has to sort a couple of minor details with the club before he signs, and is desperate for silverware with the club he has been with since he was nine.

Speaking to The People, Gerrard said, "I am on the verge of signing it now, there are just a couple of minor details, so I am hoping I can sign it before I go off on my holidays.
"This is a big contract for me and it's likely to be my final one. It takes me to 33, but I feel I'm in the prime of my footballing career at the moment. I feel confident and strong and I feel really good when I'm out on the pitch.

"The aim for me now is to stay fit for the next four years and try to play as many games as I can and win as many trophies as I can.

"I'm getting greedy when it comes to winning trophies because I know I have to win as many as I can before it's too late.''

The Reds skipper has played a total of 331 Premier League games for the club, scoring 70 goals.

No comments: