Friday, May 22, 2009

Sami Hyypia's Regret Over One Missing Piece Of Silver In Liverpool FC Career


It isn’t the leaving of Liverpool that is grieving Sami Hyypia most as he contemplates his impending departure from the club he has served with such distinction for the past decade.

It is the knowledge that the club has been unable to deliver the prize which its fans crave above all others.

Although Hyypia has no regrets from his time at Anfield, he admits that if he could change one thing it would be for the one remaining space in his own trophy cabinet to be filled with a title winners’ medal.

“Maybe that is a disappointment but I am more sad for the fans than for myself because they deserve it so much,” he said.

“But I have no real regrets because there are always ups and downs when you are a professional athlete and I think that we’ve had more ups than downs in the ten years that I’ve been here.

“I’ve had a really happy time here and I want to thank all of my team mates, the staff here and the fans for everything because it has been a great time.”

On Sunday afternoon it will be Hyypia’s turn to be on the receiving end of some richly deserved gratitude as he brings the curtain down on an Anfield career which has seen him go from a relative unknown – remember the wags who christened him Sami Who-pia? – to being regarded as one of Europe’s finest modern day defenders.

Now 35-years-old and considered a veteran, Hyypia has experienced pretty much all the highs and lows that football has to offer.

So much so that it might be expected that he will take his final appearance in his giant Finnish stride. But such is his affection for Liverpool as a club and as a city, he is actually refusing to contemplate the enormity of it all for fear that the emotions which will inevitably be stirred could undermine his trademark professionalism and the needs of the team.

“I haven’t really thought about Sunday yet,” he admitted. “I think it is better that way so that I can concentrate on training because we still have one game to play.

“We really haven’t discussed what will happen yet. The manager hasn’t talked to me about it so we will see what happens.

“Obviously I’m hoping to be involved in the game at some stage just so I can get onto the pitch for one last time. I would be happy with that, of course, but no matter what happens I will still have the chance to say goodbye to the fans after the game.”

An online collection on the Red All Over The Land and Red And White Kop fans forums has raised enough money to buy a special commemorative flag so that the supporters can bid a fitting farewell to one of their modern day heroes.

There are also plans for a Kop mosaic, such is the esteem in which Hyypia is held by the Liverpool supporters, of which he counts himself as one.

“I was a Liverpool fan before and I will definitely remain a Liverpool fan for the rest of my life,” he said.

“Of course I know You’ll Never Walk Alone and I can sing that but I haven’t really picked up too many of the other songs.

“Usually you can hear them when you are playing but you can’t hear exactly what they are singing but when I come back for some games I will have to go on the internet first and learn the words of the songs so I can sing along.

“It has always been really special for me whenever I have heard the fans sing my name.

“It is something that I’ve enjoyed a lot. Even nowadays when I go to warm up and they sing my name it’s a great thing and a great feeling.”

That self same feeling was one of the main reasons why Hyypia turned down several offers to remain in the Premier League once word seeped out into the football fraternity that the time had come for him to move on.

Stoke City, Wolves, Newcastle United and Sunderland were all keen to acquire the services of a player who has literally and metaphorically placed himself head and shoulders above so many of his contemporaries during the past ten years.

But the thought of playing against Liverpool and the supporters who adore him was not something Hyypia was even prepared to contemplate and when Bundesliga outfit Bayer Leverkusen made him an offer he quickly realised it was one he could not refuse.

“Of course it would have been difficult to come back to Anfield to play against Liverpool if I’d stayed in this country,” said the centre back.

“Leverkusen showed from day one that they wanted me there and they had a plan for me.

“They have a young team and they need experience and the package is good.

“To have the opportunity at my age to experience another of the top leagues in Europe is good for me. It’s a new challenge and now I just need to match their expectations and I will be fine.

“It’s a really good challenge and I’m looking forward to it.

“I still want to play and I feel that I still have something to offer. I know that if I’d stayed here I wouldn’t have played as many times as I would like to.”

Rafa Benitez and Jamie Carragher have both described Sami Hyypia as a Liverpool legend and there will be precious few people at Anfield on Sunday afternoon who will disagree.

He may be departing without that much longed for league title winners medal, but he will leave with the affection of a city and a football club and the unstinting admiration of those who have played alongside him and supported him.

No comments: