Monday, May 25, 2009

Sami Hyypia: Istanbul Is My Liverpool Career Highlight


Sami Hyypia has described the 2005 Champions League victory against Milan as the greatest moment of his ten year career with Premier League giants Liverpool.

The 35-year-old played his final game for the Reds against Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday since signing from Willem II for £2.6 million in 1999.

Ten years, 454 appearances and 33 goals later, the 97-time capped Finland international defender has named the 2005 Champions League final when Liverpool came from 3-0 down to beat Milan on penalties as his finest moment.

"I think every player dreams of winning the Champions League at some time in their career or even just to be in the final and I have managed to play in the final and win it," Hyypia told The Liverpool Echo.

"So Istanbul is definitely a highlight of my life and I think from a fan point of view the way the game went made it even more special.

"Even the neutral fans of football will remember this game for ever because to come back from 3-0 down against AC Milan and then go on to win it is an incredible result.

"Even in a normal game this would be special so for it to happen in the Champions League final makes it even more so and it will stay in the memories of the players and the fans for the rest of our lives."

The 6ft 4in centre-back has won two FA Cups, two League cups, one UEFA Cup, one Champions League and two UEFA Super Cups with the Merseyside based club, much to his delight especially as he never expected to become a first team regular.

"I didn’t think I would be here for ten years. When I first came I thought that I would be on the bench sometimes and would play sometimes but would maybe have to get used to not playing all the time," Hyypia added.

"But then before the season started I realised that I really had a chance to be in the first eleven all the time and this encouraged me to work even harder.

"I’m not saying that I didn’t work hard from day one because it’s my nature always to work hard and then see what happens.

"But I didn’t have a lot of expectation for the first season. I just thought that I would do my best and show everybody that I could play football.

"It was also a good situation for me to start here because nobody knew me and nobody really had any big expectations of me."

While Hyypia admits that Sunday will be an emotional occasion, he is not getting too carried away because, as he puts it, he is not retiring just yet, just moving on.

"I remember a few games when I wasn’t happy with how I had played," Hyypia remarked.

"But there are so many good things to remember that it means the bad things stay in the background.

"I think Sunday will be a sad day but it’s not like I am retiring or anything. I just have a new challenge."

No comments: