Thursday, May 21, 2009

Sami Hyypia Already Plotting Liverpool Return

Sami Hyypia is set to bid Liverpool an emotional farewell on Sunday but not before letting it be known that it is his dream to return to the club as coach one day.

Last week it was confirmed that the 35-year-old Finnish centre-back had chosen to extend his career at Bayer Leverkusen after over a decade's service for the Reds.

The defender's departure will be unanimously mourned by the red side of Merseyside, but if all goes according to plan it will be an 'until we meet again' rather than a 'farewell'.

"I'd like to come back to Liverpool one day as a coach, and it was great to hear the manager would like me to return," Hyypia said in the Daily Mirror.

"Coaching has always been in my mind, but I have to take my badges first. I haven't done that yet because I want to keep playing, and I thought at this stage it would be a burden.

"But at the end of my playing career I'll look to take the badges and then see. I've so many memories of Liverpool, and really would love to return one day.

"I think it will only be after I've finally left that I'll be able to sit back and realise what we've done in my 10 years. It's hard to take in now. It is nice to be remembered here."

No comments: