Thursday, May 28, 2009

Rafael Benitez Reassesses Set-Up With Gary Ablett Leading Out Four Staff

Four of Liverpool’s backroom staff will be released as part of the ongoing review of the club’s Academy.

Reserve team manager Gary Ablett is the most prominent name of the quartet with Rafael Benitez reassessing the set-up beneath the first team.

Under-18s manager Hugh McAuley, under-16 coach Dave Shannon and under-14s coach Paul Lever are also set leave, with their departures expected next week.

Although Liverpool reached the FA Youth Cup final, where they were this week beaten by Arsenal 6-2 on aggregate, the reserve and youth levels have underwhelmed in their respective leagues.

Meanwhile, Martin Skrtel has vowed to break his goalscoring duck for Liverpool next season.

The Slovakia international has scored five goals for his country but has yet to find the net in 50 Liverpool appearances.

“I haven’t scored but I hope to change this,” said Skrtel.

“For me the first job is to protect our own goal.

“Any goals I score is something extra. But I hope next season I can get some goals.”

Skrtel has become the latest Anfield player to express his sadness at the departure of Sami Hyypia while also admitting he owes the Finn a debt of gratitude.

“For me, I’ll miss Sami because he is a big person and a big player,” added Skrtel. “He has helped me a lot. Whenever I’ve needed something I could go to Sami and ask him. He’d always help me.

“But now he’s finished here after 10 years – he’ll be missed.

“He is a very good player. To play here for 10 years is incredible. Before I came here I could see on television how good he was. I already knew he was a really good player with quality. He still is now. I wish him all the best at his next club.”

No comments: