Saturday, May 09, 2009

Negredo Wary Of Anfield Switch


Almeria striker Alvaro Negredo has poured cold water on a possible move to Liverpool amid fears he may not be able to hold down a place in the side.

The forward, who is reportedly a summer target for Anfield boss Rafa Benitez, has been in devastating form in Spain, netting 19 La Liga goals, and is widely expected to be on the move in the summer.

The striker admits his preference would be to return to the Bernabeu where he spent two seasons from 2005, while Valencia are also thought to be keen on the 23-year-old.

But after leaving Madrid in order to get regular football, he is determined not to move to a club where he will again be left on the bench.

"My first option is Madrid," said Negredo.

"If I'm going to be the fifth striker at Madrid, the option of returning will be ruled out. I have to think long and hard because my future depends on this. What I want to do now is to play, to have minutes.

"If I'm going to go to Liverpool and they make another signing, on top of Fernando Torres and the current strikers they have, it's perhaps not best for me to go there," Negredo told radio station Cadena Ser.

No comments: