Sunday, May 31, 2009

Liverpool's Steven Gerrard: I Am Still Improving As A Player

After receiving the Football Writers' Association Footballer of the Year award at a gala dinner in London on Friday, Steven Gerrard suggested that he is yet to reach his peak.

Indeed, the Liverpool captain hinted that he will only continue to become a better player, insisting that he is still improving in training as he strives to realise his potential.

"The coaches are always driving me on, trying to improve me as a player. I’m 29 now and I still feel I can get better," Gerrard, who celebrates his birthday on Saturday, was quoted as saying by The Guardian on Friday.

"I am still learning every single day in training, working on parts of my game, am still very hungry and ambitious.

"There is still a lot to achieve for me personally, for Liverpool and England, so hopefully next year is going to be a lot bigger for me trophy wise."

Meanwhile, England head coach Fabio Capello urged the attacking midfielder to take his club form into the World Cup qualifiers against Kazakhstan and Andorra in June.

"Steve, you have played a fantastic season, and scored a lot of goals. Now, please, just two more to help us towards South Africa," Capello remarked.

No comments: