Friday, April 24, 2009

Ryan Babel: I Must Start Regularly For Liverpool Next Season


Ryan Babel has hinted that he may well be considered as an expensive flop should he fail to become a regular name in the Liverpool starting XI from next season onwards.

The 30-time capped Netherlands international has made 88 appearances for the Reds since signing from Dutch giants Ajax for around €12.7 million (£11.5m) in 2007, however, 46 of those have come from the substitutes bench.

The versatile forward has said that he does not regret his move to Anfield, insisting he has developed as a player during his time with the Merseyside outfit, but he knows that the time has come for him to start proving that.

"In December I’ll be 23. When you reach that you aren’t a potential talent anymore," Babel is quoted as saying by The Sun.

"Next season age isn’t an excuse any more.

"My goal this season was to be in the starting line-up but they brought in another left forward. But I have patience, I work hard and I have to show I’ve earned the right to be picked.

"What I have learned in 18 months at Liverpool would have taken four years at Ajax. There are times when it isn’t going as well as I hoped but I see it as a test and it can only make me stronger."

No comments: