Friday, April 03, 2009

On-loan Martin Kelly Shines On Debut For Huddersfield

Martin Kelly earned rave reviews after his debut for Huddersfield on Tuesday night.

The 18-year-old Liverpool centre-back has joined the League One club on loan until the end of the season and helped them secure a 2-1 win at Bristol Rovers.

Kelly was playing out of position at left-back but his performance delighted boss Lee Clark.

“That was one of the best debuts I have seen,” he said.

“He was playing out of position at left-back.

“I’m looking forward to seeing Martin in his normal role if he can do that well in an unfamiliar one.

“I’ll have to work on my Spanish so I can ask Mr Benitez for a season-long loan if the lad carries on like that.

“We want to try and loan some special talents from the Premier League if they can help us progress.”

Kelly has teamed up with Liverpool legend Terry McDermott, who is assistant boss of the Terriers.

And the England Under-19s international is relishing the opportunity to gain some valuable experience.

“I’m glad to have picked Huddersfield as the club to come to,” said Kelly.

“I’m made up that I have the opportunity to get a bit of experience in League One and I am sure this is the right move for me. I think it will be a really good experience for me.

“I had an expectation that I might go out on loan, but it was only after the England match on Wednesday that I knew what options were available to me.

“It was Gary Ablett who called to tell me about the possibility. We talked about it for a good hour or two and came to the conclusion that it was the right decision for me to come here.

“I know I am still young and this is part of my learning curve. The experience can only be good for me.”

No comments: