Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Chelsea's Nicolas Anelka: I Was At My Best While With Liverpool


Chelsea forward Nicolas Anelka has opined that he enjoyed his best spell of football while on loan at Liverpool during the latter part of the 2001-02 campaign.

Ahead of the Blues' Champions League quarter-final clash with the Reds, the French international feels that it is assumed he is an out-and-out striker, but the Merseyside outfit did not make that mistake and duly profited.

"I played my best football at Liverpool because I played in my best position," Anelka is quoted as saying in The Sun.

"There was Michael Owen, who’s a natural goal scorer, and Emile Heskey, who sets lots of things up for you. The three of us complemented each other.

"I played as a centre-forward at Arsenal and scored lots of goals so everyone thinks that’s my best position but I don’t.

"My main aim is to play well and that’s where I differ from real strikers.”

The 30-year-old is well travelled having played for eight different football clubs in four countries, but he says that England is where he feels most at home.

"My relationship with English football is a love story,” he said. “England is a wonderful country.

"I’ve lived in France, Spain and Turkey, but England is the place where I’m happiest."

No comments: