Monday, March 23, 2009

Red Card Was Harsh, Moans Friedel


Aston Villa goalkeeper Brad Friedel has insisted he should not have been sent off for bringing down Fernando Torres at Anfield on Sunday.

The American shot-stopper was dismissed in the second half and Steven Gerrard converted the resulting penalty to make it 5-0 to Liverpool.

But Friedel was far from happy with referee Martin Atkinson, who he insisted got it wrong as he feels Nigel Reo-Coker was level with Torres - thus not making him the last man.

"I just stood my ground, and as the cameras show I turned my shoulders to show that I didn't try to make contact - he (Torres) is the one who ran in and made contact with me," Friedel told Sky Sports.

"Does he have an argument for a penalty sure, does he have an argument for a booking sure, but a sending off is very harsh considering he had a defender alongside him."

Friedel is now set to miss Villa's next match at Manchester United.

No comments: