Friday, March 13, 2009

Rafael Benitez To Resume Liverpool Contract Negotiations Next Week


Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has revealed that his future at Anfield will be decided within the next month, with negotiations over a contract extension expected to begin next week.

"Next week I am going to study my present and my future with my bosses," Benitez is quoted as saying in British broadsheet The Guardian.

"I have to decide on my future in the next two weeks."

While the 48-year-old denied claims that he is ready to leave the Reds for hometown club Real Madrid, the former Valencia head coach suggested that he could leave the Merseyside-based outfit should he fail to receive the type of contract he is after.

"People who see me leaving for Madrid are wrong,” he stated. “I have a contract with Liverpool, I owe Liverpool and I am only thinking about Liverpool.

"I am happy here and there is a project under way. I have been here for five years and [if I was to stay] from now on things would be easier.

"I want a medium or long-term project. I don't want to be working day to day, always hanging on the latest result, without a programme to follow or an idea to develop over a period of time.

"What I want is hard to find in Spain. Long-term projects do not exist [in Spain], like they do in England. I am young as coaches go and I can't predict my future.

"Real Madrid are a great club, a very great club, but I am at another wonderful club, one that really motivates me. I will work where I feel I can develop a project."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As Rafa heads towards his 100th Liverpool win, do you reckon that any amount of continental success can make up for another five years without a league title under Benitez?

Back in the day, Curbishley, McLaren, O'Neill and Strachan were all linked to the Liverpool hot seat - would they have done any better?

I would love to know your thoughts on my blog, View from the Terraces.

Cheers, Charlie