Friday, March 20, 2009

Rafa Benitez: I Signed New Liverpool Deal For My Family & The Fans


Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez signed a new five year contract with the club recently and revealed that his family life was a key factor in him deciding to remain on Merseyside.

"I am really pleased for me, for my family and hopefully for the fans," Benitez told The Liverpool Echo.

"It was a very easy decision for me to take because I only ever wanted to stay at this football club."

He went on to state that he was now hoping the saga of his new contract could be put behind the club, and that thoughts could now turn to the future with fresh optimism.

"We want to improve in all departments – the squad, the mentality – everything that we possibly can," he explained.

"For me and for my family it has been a fantastic week. My idea is always to win trophies, not just games.

"But to beat Real Madrid and Manchester United and then sign the contract makes this a perfect week. But now we must look ahead, not back.

"We must look to continue the work we have done and keep on trying to improve, because maybe then we can have even better weeks. My message to the fans is very clear – it is because of them that I am signing this contract. This is a fantastic club with fantastic fans – it is as simple as that."

And those fans were another compelling reason to stay, the Spaniard asserted, continuing, "Last week I met with a supporter who carries a flag to every game. The flag has a picture of me on it and the Spanish phrase ‘siempre es possible’ and it is flown at all our home games.

"I saw it at the Bernabeu also when we played Real Madrid and I met the supporter who owns the flag at Melwood last week.

"It was really funny because he was telling me ‘you must sign’ and saying ‘I hope it is for ten years' but then he was changing his mind ‘no, no twenty years’.

"It was really funny but it also showed the incredible passion of the Liverpool fans and the support that they give to their manager. I also remember the Porto game last season when the fans demonstrated for me. That is something I will never forget."

As for whether there had ever been any realistic chance of his departing Merseyside, Benitez insisted that it had only been very slight, even though he found the situation frustrating at times.

He added, "Because of the uncertainty it was a difficult time. The conversations went on for a long time and because of that I was a bit worried. But I never thought of leaving and in the end it has all been sorted out thanks to the hard work of everyone involved.

"From the very beginning everyone knew that I wanted to stay here. But it took a bit longer for everything to be concluded because there were certain issues that we needed clarified."

Now that his contract has been inked, the manager concluded by stating his next immediate intention, he said, "My priority now is to do the deals for my staff and for the players who will be important for this club in the future."

No comments: