Sunday, March 01, 2009

Dirk Kuyt Is Fretting On Rafa Benitez Future

Liverpool striker Dirk Kuyt will commit himself to a new contract with the club only once he has assurances on Rafael Benitez’s long-term future as manager. Benitez is yet to sign a new deal and uncertainty over the direction of Liverpool, after the announcement that chief executive Rick Parry is to leave, means Kuyt has delayed talks on a renewal.

“The manager told me he wants to give me a new contract,” said Kuyt, whose current deal runs to next year, “but because of his own contract he wanted to sort that out first and see what’s happening. For me, I’m focusing on the important games coming up. I’m not too worried about it at this stage. We’ll see. At this moment I’m really happy at Liverpool. I’m enjoying every day. It depends what the club wants. If the club wants to give me a new contract I’m more than happy to talk.”

Kuyt, above, added that he was not the only one in the dressing room wanting Benitez’s situation clarified. “Of course it’s very important for me who’s the manager, as it is for every player,” said the Dutch international. “I never thought the manager would go because everybody was talking about his new contract. As far as I can see he is focused on the games as well as the players are.”

Kuyt hoped Benitez’s popularity with fans would steer him towards a quick solution to any snags in negotiations over a new deal. “The supporters have always been behind Benitez,” said Kuyt. “He’s a great manager and has done great things for the club: Champions League, FA Cup. He’s done lots of good work for the club.”

No comments: