Thursday, March 26, 2009

Benayoun Risks Rafa's Wrath


Yossi Benayoun will defy Liverpool's wishes by turning out for Israel in their 2010 World Cup qualifiers.

The midfielder has been out of action for the last two weeks with a hamstring injury, ruling him out of domestic duties.

However, the 28-year-old is desperate to skipper his country in their crucial clash with Greece on Saturday.

He admits that he is running the risk of further inflaming his current problem, but insists the opportunity to help Israel take another step on the road to South Africa justifies his decisions.

"I had a little problem with Liverpool," said Benayoun.

"They didn't really want me to come to Israel.

"But as long as I know I will be able to give 100 per cent I will play, even if it means risking my health.

"I've been going through intensive treatment in the last couple of weeks and I'm almost fully fit, but sometimes it's still painful.

"Missing out on Saturday's match would be the biggest disappointment of my career.

"I'm feeling much better now and I hope that in a day or two I will be able to train with the team.

"If that happens, I will be able to play. Two weeks' absence isn't that significant."

No comments: