Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Benayoun Injury Adds To Liverpool Insult


Yossi Benayoun has risked the wrath of Rafael Benítez by defying the Liverpool manager's wishes not to travel on international duty and then suffering an injury during Israel's World Cup qualifier with Greece.

The Israel captain, who missed three games for Liverpool with a hamstring strain prior to Saturday's Group 2 fixture, was carried off in the 71st minute of the 1-1 draw with what appeared to be a calf injury. Liverpool are still awaiting confirmation of the damage to the midfielder and a decision on whether he can be considered for Israel's return game with Greece on Wednesday or their own Premier League trip to Fulham on Saturday.

Benayoun, however, is unrepentant at starting the World Cup qualifier. "I made the right decision, and that's it," he said. "We hope we'll win in Greece, but a draw isn't that bad either. Still, our aim is to win in Crete."

Prior to the first encounter with Greece the 28-year-old admitted he had defied Liverpool's instructions not to play given his recent hamstring problems. He said: "I had a little problem with Liverpool. They didn't really want me to come to Israel. But as long as I know I will be able to give 100% I will play, even if it means risking my health."

No comments: