Monday, February 23, 2009

Reina Ready For Real Test


Pepe Reina knows that he and Iker Casillas will be watched closely when Real Madrid play Liverpool in the UEFA Champions League on Wednesday, but thinks there is not much difference between the two teams.

The Anfield shot-stopper is full of admiration for Los Blancos and is looking forward to locking horns with his international team-mate Casillas.

Liverpool head to the Spanish capital for the first leg of the enticing European encounter and Reina believes that they will have to be at their best to beat Real's talismanic keeper and register an all-important away goal.

"We will be compared as people speak about me and him, but it is not about Casillas and Reina, it is Real Madrid and Liverpool in the Champions League," he told AS.

"He was without doubt the best goalkeeper of 2008. He is the best in the world, but I think there is little difference between the best keepers."

There is not much between the teams, according to Reina, and the side that progresses to the next round could well be the one that makes the least errors.

"The two teams are very similar and small details could decide the tie. I think Madrid are more confident now and more organised," he continued.

"I think the winning team will be the one that makes the least mistakes."

Reina is not anti-Real Madrid despite his family connections to Atletico Madrid, where his father spent much of his career, and his many years spent learning his trade with Barcelona.

"I like to see Barca win because I came through the ranks there, but I am not a supporter. I also want to see Villarreal do well for the same reason," he explained.

"I am not anti-Madrid. I was always taught to be anti-nobody and everyone has a good side. I will not dislike something because it is a system."

No comments: