Thursday, February 12, 2009

Play Me Or I'll Leave, Agger Tells Liverpool


Liverpool's prospects of losing Daniel Agger for a cut-price fee this summer have increased after the defender said he will not sign a new contract unless his first-team chances improve under Rafael Benítez.

The Denmark international is entitled to buy out the final 12 months of his Anfield deal at the end of this season for around £2m. Agger's failure to sign a contract extension has previously been blamed on a lack of communication with the Liverpool hierarchy, a charge levelled by Benítez himself, along with the player's financial demands.

Now the 24-year-old admits limited appearances this season are also a factor in his reluctance to commit his future to the club, and that he is likely to seek pastures new should Benítez persist with his favoured central defensive pairing of Jamie Carragher and Martin Skrtel. "Let me be honest and admit that, if I don't play, then it's untenable and it can't go on like that," said the Dane.

Agger has only enjoyed a consistent run this season after Skrtel suffered a cruciate ligament injury at Manchester City in October. The £5.8m signing from Brondby was restricted to two starts in 12 matches before the City game as he returned from a metatarsal injury, and has started only once – at Portsmouth on Saturday – since Skrtel reclaimed his place against Stoke City on 10 January.

The frustrated defender added: "It's never fun as a footballer when you don't play every time. That's no secret. But that's my situation in the club right now; that he [Benítez] won't let me play. That's not my decision. The question now is whether this is the right thing for me, because I would like to play some football. But for now I have chosen to give it some time and give it a chance and fight for my spot in the team. I feel I'm good enough. For the same reason it's annoying that I don't play. I'll wait for the chance and then I will prove that I'm good enough. I'll show them - no doubt about that."

Agger also revealed he is prepared to leave a decision on his future until the summer, when he is eligible to exploit the Webster Ruling and buy-out his existing Liverpool contract. The defender, whose agent, Per Steffensen, has held talks with Milan over a possible move, said: "There is no dialogue on a new contract with the club. It seemed like Liverpool were eager to close this deal and sign a new contract but that proved to be wrong. For me it is OK to wait and see how things evolve in the summer. I believe that I am in a good position for negotiations and I wish for more time in the red jersey." José Reina, the Liverpool goalkeeper, has admitted Benítez's team cannot afford many more slip-ups if they are to sustain their challenge to Manchester United for the Premier League title. The Anfield club have kept their championship prospects alive with late victories over Chelsea and Portsmouth in their last two league outings, but the Spaniard believes there must be improvement on the home form that has produced five draws in 12 games this season.

"Every match is like a final now," said Reina. "We know we can't afford to drop many points, especially at home. There are big games coming every week and we have to be ready for them. As a footballer that's what you want. This is Liverpool and if you want to win trophies, then you have to be up for it all the time - and we are.

"I don't know why we drew all those matches earlier in the season.

Against Everton we were only three minutes away from winning the derby before they equalised. It's true we didn't create a lot of chances in those games and it was hard to find a winner. When that happens it can damage confidence and that sometimes affects you in the next game. But it isn't unusual. The season is nine months long so it's natural that at some stage you will not be at your best. Hopefully we have come through our worst moment and the next few months are going to be better."

No comments: