Saturday, February 07, 2009

Liverpool's Sami Hyypia Happy With Champions League Boost


Liverpool defender Sami Hyypia has revealed he could have quit Anfield in the winter transfer window had the club not made it clear he was part of their plans.

Newcastle and Sunderland were both strongly linked with the veteran centre-back, who is out of contract in the summer and is no longer guaranteed first-team football on Merseyside.

However, Reds boss Rafa Benitez has added the Finland international to his squad for the UEFA Champions League knockout stages.

And Hyypia admits the club left him in no doubt regarding their feelings, saying: "There were a lot of rumours, and a few offers as well. Newcastle and Sunderland were both really interested in signing me.

"But Liverpool made it clear that they were not willing to sell me. That was it, although I might have considered another option.

"The club decide these things, Liverpool didn't want to sell me. So I will spend the rest of the season in Liverpool, this is my 10th season and it is a great achievement."

The 35-year-old does, however, confess that he will look at his future at the end of the campaign.

"I will consider my options again in the summer when my current Liverpool contract expires," added Hyypia.

"It is too early to say what will happen then. It is not my style to worry about these things in advance. Now I will concentrate on helping my team to win trophies in a role the manager decides, whether it is on the bench or on the pitch."

No comments: