Friday, February 13, 2009

Gareth Barry Never Tried To Force Move Away From Aston Villa


Gareth Barry didn't contemplate forcing a move away from Aston Villa in the summer, because of his respect for Martin O'Neill. The England international came close to joining Liverpool, but the move fell through after the club failed to meet Villa's £18m valuation of the player.

However, Barry has maintained a professional approach this season, and has played a key part in the club's surge into the top four of the Premier League.

"I said straight away that myself and the manager are both professional people who want the best this season for Villa," Barry said. "The relationship is very good.

"It can go through your head what others have done to get away from a club - but it was just not the reputation I would have wanted. It never went through my head to go through that. I've got too much respect for the club, and for the manager, and I've just got on with the job."

Barry was initially stripped of the club captaincy, but O'Neill has reinstated him in the absence of the injured Martin Laursen.

"Everyone knows I enjoy captaining Villa," Barry added. "I've always looked forward to doing it and it does give you that extra lift, captaining the team out there. It can raise your game. But Martin is the captain this season and, if we win a trophy, that will be more than enough."

No comments: