Friday, February 20, 2009

Babel Reiterates First-Team Plea


Ryan Babel has reiterated his desire for more first-team football at Liverpool but accepts that Fernando Torres is the star of the attacking show.

The Dutchman carved a reputation as a super-sub at the beginning of the season following a string of match-winning performances from the bench.

However, Babel has tailed off in the second half of the campaign, starting opportunities remain limited and his influence when joining games in the latter stages has decreased.

The 22-year-old has been deployed primarily as a winger by manager Rafa Benitez, but he has previously expressed a desire for a central role and is optimistic that the controversial winter sale of Robbie Keane will increase his chances.

"With Robbie having gone to Tottenham that has increased my chances a little more," Babel - who was linked with a loan return to former club Ajax earlier in the campaign - told the Liverpool Echo.

"I feel that I am ready for more playing time so hopefully that will come.

"I have spoken with the manager and he has told me what my role can be in the future. If necessary, I will play as a winger, but I have made no secret of my desire to play as a striker at Liverpool."

Babel recognises Spain international Torres is Benitez's first choice and he is hoping to learn from his team-mate.

"I have to be realistic. I know Fernando is the number one striker, there is no doubt about that," he added.

"But there are a lot of games and I want to prove that I can be a striker, too.

No comments: