Sunday, January 18, 2009

Rafa Benitez Wants Long Liverpool Stay

It was recently confirmed that Rafael Benitez had rejected Liverpool's latest contract offer due to a disagreement over wages and the terms of the deal.

Press reports suggest that the Spanish manager hopes to be granted complete control in the transfer market, but club co-owner Tom Hicks yesterday declared that the main issue is the speed - or lack thereof - with which signings are made.

Hicks stressed that he was determined to work things out one way or another, and Benitez is similarly eager to reach an agreement when the American returns to Merseyside in February.

The former Valencia boss told the News of the World, "We will see what happens when Tom Hicks comes next month. Maybe we will talk again in the future.

"When the owners offered me a contract I said we needed to do it quickly as I wanted no distractions. We have been talking for two months and they know my idea. If we can’t progress, we finish the conversations.

"We were close. I have no problem talking with them and anyone else at the club. The phone still works both ways, but I will try to concentrate on the football."

Nevertheless, a sliver of doubt lingers over Benitez's future at Anfield, and a number of clubs - most notably Juventus and Real Madrid - are thought to be keeping tabs on his situation.

But Rafa said, "I’m linked with a lot of teams but I guarantee I’m focused on winning trophies for Liverpool. I want to stay at Liverpool for a long time. I’m signing young players because I’m thinking about the future. I’ve told the owners what I want and that’s it."

No comments: