Saturday, January 24, 2009

Rafa Benitez Backing Steven Gerrard To Focus


Steven Gerrard is expected to lead Liverpool out in tomorrow’s derby with Rafael Benitez confident his skipper will not be affected by his court appearances.

Gerrard appeared in front of North Sefton magistrates yesterday charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm and affray following an altercation at a bar in Southport last month.

The case was adjourned until Friday, March 20, 2009 when Gerrard will be one of three men due to appear before a judge at Liverpool crown court.

Gerrard was then driven straight to training at Melwood, as Liverpool prepare to entertain Everton for the second time in six days tomorrow afternoon, and the 210th time overall, in their FA Cup fourth round tie.

Gerrard netted Liverpool’s goal in Monday’s 1-1 draw with their Merseyside rivals, and Benitez has revealed the captain has shown no adverse reaction from his off-field pressures.

“The court appearance won’t have any bearing on team selection,” said the Anfield manager. “Steven was training really well. He was playing five-a-side at the end and scored two or three goals and was okay.

“I don’t think that he is affected by what’s going on. Steven is in the right frame of mind. We were talking and I asked how everything was, and he said it was okay. It was a normal training session.

“He has shown in the past few weeks what a fantastic professional he is and I think he will do the same now. He has our full support and he knows this.”

Gerrard’s next scheduled court appearance is sandwiched by a trip to league leaders Manchester United and a home game against fellow title rivals Aston Villa.

And Benitez said: “If the team continues playing well, we won’t see any problem if he is still focused on football.

“How can we guarantee he will be okay in that time? We just need to keep him fit and playing well, and it will be easier for me.”

While Gerrard is almost certain to start, Benitez is likely to make a raft of changes from the side that played on Monday.

“The players are training really well. We have a lot of options, and they are all good options. I cannot guarantee which team I will play. I will change some players but I don’t know how many yet.

“We will try to win, which players will play depends on if the players are ready or not and if we can manage and keep the balance. It’s clear we want to beat Everton.”

Liverpool were yesterday linked with a possible takeover by Kuwaiti billionaire businessman Nasser Al Kharafi, with current co-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett keen to dilute their share in the club.

But Benitez said: “I was really surprised this morning with the news. I cannot say anything as I am preparing for the game. That’s it for me. The most important thing for me now is to prepare the game.”

Benitez also sidestepped questions over how possible new ownership at Anfield could impact on his contract talks and said: “We can only think about Everton. The training session was really good.

“The atmosphere on the training ground is very good, the players are really focused and ready for the next game. I’m sure you will ask me about this again, and I’ll just say the same thing.

“In my mind I don’t see us losing to Everton, I am always positive.”

Transfer target Emile Heskey has moved to Aston Villa, and Benitez admitted: “I don’t think we will do anything in the window now. We need to have confidence in our squad and keep going.”

No comments: