Saturday, January 17, 2009

Portsmouth Set To Fail In Jermaine Pennant Bid

Portsmouth will fail in their attempts to sign Liverpool winger Jermaine Pennant during the transfer window.

The two clubs have agreed a fee for the 26-year-old, who does not form part of Rafael Benitez’s long-term plans.

Portsmouth claimed yesterday that Pennant was due on the south coast to discuss personal terms “over the next few days”.

But Pennant is intent on staying at Anfield until the summer, when he can leave for nothing as and able to command greater wages and a possible signing-on fee as a free transfer.

The player, signed from Birmingham City for £6.7million in July 2006, has attracted interest from European giants AC Milan and Real Madrid during the past month, as well as Barclays Premier League sides Wigan Athletic, Hull City and Blackburn Rovers.

And the winger said yesterday: “My preference is to stay at Liverpool and I am still hoping to do so. There has been a lot of speculation about my future but I have always maintained my position of wanting to stay at the club.

“I am happy to compete for my place here and hope I am given the chance to do so.”

Pennant has made only two Premier League starts this season and has not featured since the home match against Portsmouth on October 28.

Pompey manager Tony Adams wants to make Pennant, a former Arsenal club-mate, his first signing since taking over at Fratton Park.

Adams said: “Jermaine is a player I have been tracking because he is not getting regular first-team football.

“I realised he wasn’t in the team at Liverpool, he was a bit-part player, and I said to (executive chairman) Peter Storrie we might be able to give him a platform to play football.

“We have had a bid accepted by Liverpool and we want to get him down here ASAP.

“But it’s down to the player.

“I knew him as Ashley Cole’s buddy as a kid. He has had a few, shall we say ‘different’ experiences through his career.

“Haven’t we all? But I think he is growing wiser with age.

“As a player, he has played in the Champions League final which is something that I never did.

“Maybe he has had a better career than me.”

No comments: