Sunday, January 25, 2009

Pennant Appeals To Milan


Jermaine Pennant admits there may have been contact with Milan for a summer switch and Emerson could switch to Portsmouth.

The former Liverpool winger bitterly blasted Rafa Benitez following his loan move to Portsmouth and confessed he was already looking to the future.

“I’m here for six months because I want regular football. It would be a great experience to play abroad and I’m not ruling it out,” said the 26-year-old international.

“It is weird I cannot get into Liverpool’s team but Real Madrid want me. It is very flattering to be linked with a club of their size because they are one of the best teams in the world.

“I did not speak to Madrid directly, but my agent may have done. I did not speak to Milan either, but again my agent may have.”

Pennant was signed from Birmingham in July 2006 for £6.7m, but has since been frozen out of the Reds squad by Benitez.

“It seems very strange to go from playing every week to training on my own on Saturday afternoons.

“But that is Rafa for you and I don’t think half the players at Liverpool can work him out.”

In the meantime, Pennant could be joined at Portsmouth by a Milan midfielder, as Sky Sport Italia claim there has been an approach for Emerson.

The former Roma, Juventus and Real Madrid star has struggled to find space in the Rossoneri side this season and is considering a loan spell in the Premier League.

It could well prompt his retirement, as Emerson’s contract expires at the end of the season.

No comments: